Sunday 23 November 2008

A speckled egg



Having commented about how long it was since I saw a double yolker I just realised also how unusual it is nowadays to see a speckled egg. When I was young eggs ranged through all shades of brown and white (can you have shades of white?) and were variously speckled or unspeckled. This one – in a tray of two and a half dozen – was the only speckled one I’ve seen in ages. Why? Are speckled eggs less marketable for some reason?

Incidentally, I have since learned that Richard had a double yolker a week or so ago. That means we probably had two in the same batch.

2 comments:

  1. If white is defined as the absolute presence of light I have no idea if it is possible to have shades of white. If, however, white is the paint one can have on a wall, a bath or whatever there is an immense number of whites - or shades thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two double yolkers in the same batch would suggest that a machine at the egg factory wasn't working properly.

    As far as I know they shine light through the eggs to check shell thickness (so they don't break too easily in transit) and to look for fertilised or otherwise abnormal eggs -- including double yolkers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome.