Saturday 11 October 2008

WALNUTS ON THE SIDE


I love Walnuts and Jo’s brother Brian gave us some produce from his allotment the other day so I invented "Walnuts on the Side" and had it with a Steak and Kidney Pie. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Unfortunately I didn’t take much notice of quantities – I tend to just chuck stuff in when I’m ad-libbing. The following would serve two.


Ingredients
150gm of roughly chopped walnuts
6 small new potatoes
3 small carrots
80 Beans – fresh from the pod
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Soy Sauce
Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper

Method
Cut the potatoes into quarters and chop the carrot into small cubes. Put in a pan of boiling water with the beans and simmer for five minutes. Roast the walnuts in a dry frying pan over a low heat for five minutes. Then add a tablespoon of olive oil and continue stirring.
Add a generous splash of balsamic vinegar, another generous splash of soy sauce, and season with the salt and pepper.
Drain the vegetables and add them to the frying pan.
Stir occasionally over a gentle heat for ten minutes.
The pan can then be left, heating it up occasionally, for as long as you want while you make whatever the Walnuts on the Side is to accompany.
P.S. I think I’ll add some Parsnips next time as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.